Friday, June 17, 2011

Rocky path leads to great success story

Everyone loves a success story. Angela Dorman is one.

She made a dramatic change in her life about four years ago when she started working in the Department of Correction Central Engineering Department through the inmate work release program.

“I took what could have been a very detrimental thing in my life and turned it into a positive,” Dorman said.

She was hired by engineering/architectural supervisor George Sgouros to scan and file engineering documents. She had a thirst for learning and turned out high quality work, advancing to a contract employee upon her release. She now is a CAD operator and support administrator.

While working in the engineering department, Dorman, 43, attended Shaw University. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a 4.0 GPA in May with a degree in Sociology.

“If I had my own business and I wanted to hire a person that could help me at many levels, Angela would be the first person I would think about. This is how much I trust both her abilities and integrity,” Sgouros said. He added that her diligence and hard work won the respect and admiration of others in the CAD department.

Dorman hopes to continue her education by seeking a master’s degree in education or public health.

“I would like to contribute back to society in order to honor those who have helped me. Perhaps I can prevent even one person from travelling the same rocky path that I have travelled,” she added.